My third batch I flavored orange and colored them orange. I tasted the batter and it tastes yummy so hopefully they come out just right. All I have to do now is fill them and assemble! I'm super excited about this. I think I've finally gotten the hang of it. It might just be because it was orange, but there looks to be no browning, and they look as if they raised more.
The original recipe I was using left out a few details, like that you should let them sit a minimum of 20 minutes before putting them into the oven and that you should wait until they're room temperature to assemble. I googled another recipe and found out those things, and it definitely worked, so from now on, I'm going to do that. These couple of batches also came out a lot better, size-wise. I took two pieces of parchment paper and used one to put the batter on and the bottom one had circles marking out how large to squeeze out my batter.
More pictures once I assemble!